Alex Wells's Reviews > Ganymede

4641935
Oct 11, 11

bookshelves: steampunk
Read in October, 2011

First, full disclosure: I won a copy of this book through Goodreads. And I was very excited, first, because I've been waiting forever to get my paws on this fourth book in Cherie Priest's Clockwork Century series, and second, because I hardly ever win anything.
I'm a big fan of Priest's American steampunk, which is less about corsets and manners, and more about riveting adventure and female heroines who defy the conventions of the Victorian age. I really liked Boneshaker, but I was just crazy about Dreadnought, which featured a steampunked train, a tough civil war nurse, and a supporting cast of train-riders who made the book impossible to put down. In Ganymede, Priest introduces a new heroine, while bringing back of a few characters from the earlier books in a way that seamlessly involves their stories. I found the pace of this book slightly slower and more thoughtful than her previous ones, although there is no lack of action in the opening pages. Ganymede is also set mostly in New Orleans, and she spends time developing the setting of this sultry turn-of-the-century city. I felt like my interest really picked up when she finally shows us what Ganymede is and the white-knuckle ride begins. She is adept at describing the various devices and machines that make up the heart of her stories, and I felt I was inside with the rest of the characters. This book can easily stand alone, but to get the most out of it, you might want to pick up one or all of her three others in the series.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ganymede.