Ginny Messina's Reviews > Lorna Sass' Complete Vegetarian Kitchen: Where Good Flavors and Good Health Meet

Lorna Sass' Complete Vegetarian Kitchen by Lorna J. Sass

Apr 02, 2008

bookshelves: food

This book was first published in 1992 with the title Recipes From An Ecological Kitchen. It was just a little bit ahead of its time, I guess, and didn't do well with that title. When it was released as a soft-cover book, the title was changed to Lorna Sass' Complete Vegetarian Kitchen. I have the original book, but I believe all of the recipes are the same in both versions.

It is, hands down, my favorite cookbook of all time. While I usually go hot and cold on cookbooks, I've used this one consistently for more than 15 years and my copy is falling apart from so much handling. The recipes are completely vegan, mostly easy, and nearly all fabulous. The ingredients are interesting but not strange or difficult to find.

Lorna has always been a champion of whole grains and this book provides a great introduction to cooking with some of the more interesting ones like kamut and quinoa.
She is also very enthusiastic about pressure cookers and some cooks will be put off by this, but she does provide standard stovetop instructions for all her recipes. It is worth investing in a pressure cooker, though, just for her risotto recipes which are super yummy (and absolutely foolproof—-my favorite kind of cooking!) in the pressure cooker.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lorna Sass' Complete Vegetarian Kitchen.

message 1: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan Ginny, I'll have to put it on my to-read (and to get) list. Thanks.