Wendy's Reviews > The Witch's Ladder

The Witch's Ladder by Dana E. Donovan

Aug 12, 11

bookshelves: abandoned
Read from August 01 to 12, 2011

The premise is interesting enough - murders take place amongst a group of paranormal experts and practitioners, and a grisly pre-retirement cop has to solve them. The execution didn't make it worthwhile, though. The characters aren't well-defined, and their behaviours and reactions aren't believable. They were disdainful of paganism and reacted like frightened, ignorant people when divination was mentioned (and most of them hadn't heard of it). The narration is confusing too, as it's from the point of view of the detective, but he narrates events he isn't present at, and reports people's thoughts and moods. There were multiple word usage errors as well (wrapped/rapped, your/you're, bare/bear).

I got 14% into this book before I had to abandon it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witch's Ladder.

08/01/2011
5.0% "Have already seen a few mistakes, including 'wrapped' instead of 'rapped' on a glass door. Not a great start."
08/10/2011
12.0% "Just saw a wrong use of 'your'. Ugh. Attitudes towards paganism and rites seem very close-minded when coming from members of a paranormal study group. I also can't really work out the narration. It's from the detective's point of view, but he describes events he's not present at, as well as people's thoughts. Not sure if I can can continue reading."
08/12/2011
14.0% "I'm giving up on this book 14% in. The reaction of the characters to paganism, lack of knowledge of divination, an unnatural reactions to revelations are all off for me. Where is the 'abandoned' shelf on GoodReads?"