Fedora's Reviews > He Said Yes

U 50x66
Aug 01, 11

liked it
Read in July, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Marshall Bedford, Marquis of Waltham, is the head of his household, and has his hands full dealing with his sisters (one who is starting her first Season) and his stepmother, who is deeply in mourning for her husband (his father). What he decides he needs is a piece on the side, especially if she's agreeable, beautiful, and good in bed.

Evelyn Dennsworth is a talented designer and seamstress, toiling away at a dress shop on Bond Street until she can save enough for her own place. Of course, when you are poor and untitled, you are at the mercy of those with wealth and name, a fact driven home when she is jailed on the accusation of a lord's wife that she's stolen a costly brooch.

The marquis happened to be accompanying his sister that morning, and witnesses Ms. Dennsworth being hauled away. He is struck by her loveliness, and moved to intervene. He sets her up in a rented house with the desire to make her his mistress. After the shock wears off, Evelyn realizes that is his intention and decides that is not what she wants.

Ms. Waddell did a good job of this story; I am not terribly good with history and can't comment on the accuracy, but feel that she's right on the mark with revealing the class differences and prejudices of the time. While that made me uncomfortable to read, I do think it is probably a truer reflection of what life must have been like. I did also appreciate how Evelyn did think and determine for herself; she was no mindless bit of fluff just for the marquis's pleasure.

I plan to continue with Ms. Waddell's series with He Said No.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read He Said Yes.