Sam's Reviews > Hallowed

Hallowed by Cynthia Hand

One of the best books I have read this year. It had me laughing, smiling, crying and most importantly: up all night.

For months part-angel Clara Gardner trained to face the raging forest fire from her visions and rescue the alluring and mysterious Christian Prescott from the blaze. But nothing could prepare her for the fateful decisions she would be forced to make that day, or the startling revelation that her purpose—the task she was put on earth to accomplish—is not as straightforward as she thought. Now, torn between her increasingly complicated feelings for Christian and her love for her boyfriend, Tucker, Clara struggles to make sense of what she was supposed to do the day of the fire. And, as she is drawn further into the world of part angels and the growing conflict between White Wings and Black Wings, Clara learns of the terrifying new reality that she must face: Someone close to her will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning.

I found this book extremely addictive and couldn't put it down for more that 5 minutes before giving into temptation. The plot was well thought through and carefully planned. I enjoy Cynthia's writing style, very dramatic.

The characters were well developed and fun to read about. In this book, I felt a Tucker withdraw and that slightly pushed me to Christian. Here's how my feelings changed throughout the books for these two boys:

(First book)
Christian.....wow......he sounds gorgeous.
(We meet Tucker)
Ergh. Your horrible.
(Get to know more about Christian)
Ahrrrr....I'm totally in love with you!
(Prom)
How could you do that, Christian?! Tucker, what a gentleman.
(First outing with Tucker)
I'M A TUCKER AVERY GIRL!
(Second book)
TUCKER AVERY GIRL TIL THE END! :D
(We see more of Christian)
Wow, he's actually quite a nice guy....with FEELINGS.
(Less of Tucker)
Maybe I don't like him so much.....
(The end)
I CAN'T MAKE MY MIND UP?! TUCKER? CHRISTIAN? TUCKER? CHRISTIAN? TUCKER? CHRISTIAN?

So you see my problem? Anyway, Clara, our (gorgeous) main character, has been a pleasure to read about. She's so strong yet so emotional. She's full of surprises! I'm glad to see that she has discovered more about her self in this book.

New characters are introduced. Old enemies are back.

This book has left me breathless and desperate for more. There's so many ways this story can go and I'm sure that it will be unexpected and just as exciting as this one has been!

2013?
The countdown begins.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hallowed.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ferdy The wait for Hallowed and Bloodrose is killing me.

message 2: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam I know! I can not wait until Bloodrose....GONNA BE GOOOD! :D Not long of a wait now ;)

Ferdy 1 week is too long a wait for me, I've dedicated all next week to reading:P

message 4: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Hahahaha, yeah I know what you mean.

Isabel How did you get your hands on this so soon?!

Wendy Darling So happy you loved it, Samantha! Yay.

message 7: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Hahahah, yeah, I was so worried that it wouldn't be as good the first!! So, Wendy! Are you team Tucker or team Christian? :)