Justine's Reviews > Steam & Sorcery

Steam & Sorcery by Cindy Spencer Pape

Aug 03, 11

bookshelves: steampunk, regency-romance
Read from August 01 to 03, 2011

After having read Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series, I was looking for other books of the same genre (paranormal steampunk romance, which is not so common after all). Therefore, I dove into this book eagerly.

It started off very well and I was easily immersed into the world which the author created. The children and their individual quirks I absolutely adored. The development between the heroine and the children was well-paced. However, the same cannot be said for the development between the hero and the heroine which was too rushed. In fact, the middle part to the end was very rushed for me. The build-up towards the climax happened around 80% into the book and that worried me as to how the author would wrap it because 80% in and it wasn't even the climax yet!

I guess because of that the ending did not feel satisfying for me it was as if the author was like "Oh no, just a few pages left! Okay, let's just smack in a HEA there in the last few pages."

Don't get me wrong, it's not horrible but I suggest going into this book without much expectations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steam & Sorcery.