Bree's Reviews > Night

Night by Elie Wiesel

Oct 19, 2010

bookshelves: classics, death-dying, holocaust, memoirs, oprah-bookclub, non-fiction, own
Read in October, 2010

This is a great holocaust book, I am looking forward to reading Day and Dawn. I find it interesting that there have been so many changes from the original Yiddish version. I like this new version because his wife translated it and I think she knows his voice better. It is simple to read and easily understandable, but that doesn't take anything away from the heartbreak and horror of what Elie had to live through. I only wish that his original beginning endured into this version of the book. Elie says, "In the beginning there was faith--which is childish; trust--which is vain; and illusion--which is dangerous. We believed in God, trusted in man, and lived with the illusion that every one of us has been entrusted with a sacred spark from the Shekhinah's flame; that every one of us carries in his eyes and in his soul a reflection of God's image. That was the source if not the cause of all our ordeals." This is not just another holocaust memoir it is a story of a young man on his path to Kabbalah, to being a mystic, a dedicated Jew, whose trust in God was damaged by the behavior of evil and apathetic men. It is poignantly sad. What would we do if all that we had based our life in, believed in and trusted in was destroyed? How would we recover, would we, would be get that faith back? I wonder if the answers to those questions will be answered in the subsequent books. But if not it is a question we should all ask our selves, would we recover from our total loss of trust and faith in God and in Man?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night.