Cait's Reviews > Crossed

Crossed by Ally Condie

Jun 17, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, arcs, books-i-own, received-for-review, reviews
Read from May 08 to 25, 2012

Anytime I read a second book in a series, I prepare myself for a filler book (just in case), and when it’s not, I am happily surprised. CROSSED by Ally Condie is one of those sequels that contains quite a lot of setup for the next book, but also a nicely paced plot and storyline.

Cassia is determined to find Ky and join the rebellion against the Society. Her journey, along with fellow rebel Indie, takes up the majority of the novel. I really enjoyed the fact that we find out more information about the Society and the peoples that live in the Outer Provinces, as well as The Rising (those rebelling against the Society). Although the plot and action is fairly slow, it is never boring. There is always information being presented to Cassia, Ky and those with them (and to the reader, in turn). Cassia does quite a lot of thinking and growing throughout the course of CROSSED, trying to figure out where she belongs and what she’s willing to do to stay with the person she loves.

Only major issues I had with the plot was that Cassia no sooner finds Ky, than they're off on their own separate ways again. Also, there was constant reference to Xander and a secret that he was keeping from Cassia. I couldn’t for the life of me remember if we knew this secret from MATCHED, or if it was new, so it really drove me nuts trying to figure it out. I do have to say, that Ally Condie’s writing is insanely poetic. I love her style and it’s so easy to get absorbed in Cassia’s world through the words and emotions spilling across the pages. CROSSED is a solid second book, and leaves just enough unanswered questions and new information that I’m curious to read the third story in the trilogy.

Originally posted at Escape Through the Pages with the same rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossed.