Laura's Reviews > Burned

Burned by Ellen Hopkins

Aug 01, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2009
Read in August, 2009

This is the third of Hopkins books I've read and the one I finished fastest. I don't know if that's because I've had more free time as of late or because I've adjusted to Hopkins' prose format or what, but I completed it in about a day. I must say, I'm glad I've had the chance to get to know some Mormons so I can say with absolute confidence that not all LDS families are like the one portrayed here. Thankfully.

I'm not a religious person at all, but I have been disappointed in the world at large so, in that respect, I could compare a little to Pattyn's crises of faith. Thankfully, that is the pretty much the only way I could relate to the main character -- my life has never been as difficult. The ending feels like it wants to be a surprise, but it wasn't. Sadly, it is also not as far-fetched and difficult to believe as I wish it was.

On a lighter note, I did like Hopkins' vision of the landscape. I've lived in Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico and know there is much more to the Southwest than scrub and dust.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burned.