Emily May's Reviews > Pod

Pod by Stephen Wallenfels

Aug 23, 11

bookshelves: arc, sci-fi, young-adult, 2011
Read on August 23, 2011

Many thanks to UK Book Tours for allowing me to participate in the tour of this book.

It is with regret that I have to say I would not have finished this book if it hadn't been sent to me for review as part of a blog tour. However, I ploughed on through to the very end and I was thoroughly disappointed with the book as a whole. The worst thing about it was that the story was rather boring and I didn't care for any of the characters. At one point I went online to check whether the book was self-published because the quality of writing left something to be desired as well, but the book shares it's publisher with novels such as Cut and Keturah and Lord Death.

Science-fiction is a weird genre. It's produced some of my favourite and least favourite novels over the years and it continues to go both ways even now. Pod is very much like The War of the Worlds, there's this big dramatic alien invasion that could have made a really interesting story... then comes this whole waiting game of nothing really happening. What will the PODs do next? Answer: not that much.

I will say that this novel attempted to do what The War of the Worlds never did, and that's to fill up the in-between bits with family troubles and squabbles over food rations and whatnot. In fact, Pod's main story was the in-between bits and not the alien invasion. I thought the whole thing read like a boring subplot, like we were always waiting for something to happen and it never managed to reach any major levels of excitement or drama.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pod.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Crazyjamie Having scanned all the reviews listed above this one, I was glad to actually come across someone who had the same reaction to the book as me. I'm normally very easy going and non judgemental with books, but it seems to me like the very glaring problems with this one seem to be overlooked by the majority for one reason or another.

Emily May You're right, it was just so bleh. It could have been realy interesting but I felt like it never reached it's full potential.

Amy (Turn the Page) Im halfway through this now and wondering if anything will happen, so thought I'd check out some reviews to give me a hint. Yours made me laugh 'What will the PODs do next? Answer: not that much.' The woman in Foyles told me everyone loved it!

Emily May Maybe if you're a hardcore sci-fi fan? LOL, I don't know, it just really bored me :/

Amy (Turn the Page) Hardcore sci-fi fan? Moi? No. I can't think of any sci-fi books I've read actually...

I like star wars. (view spoiler)

Emily May oh yes! Han Solo is dreamy ;)