Bridget's Reviews > Leviathan

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

Aug 01, 2011

liked it
Read from August 11 to 17, 2011

I liked the alternate history aspect as some of the historical references to World War I made this book more interesting for me. Cool concept of the allies/ Darwinists using DNA altered animals on their side of the fight while the Axis powers/Clankers used machines. Worth the $3.50 I paid for it & I'd read the second book 'Behemoth' as this one did end as a cliff hanger of course. I guess most authors these days think why write one book when you can write three or more & make more money?;) I do need to find more stand alone books or series that have already been completed (I'm looking at you George RR Martin & many others).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leviathan.

message 1: by Mary JL (new) - added it

Mary JL Bridget: Nice review. I put it on my TBR pile.

Like you, however, I do wish there were more stand alone books. Maybe that is why I read some classic SF--several good stand alone books there.

message 2: by Mary JL (new) - added it

Mary JL I also just noted you read Scott Westerfeld's Uglies trilogy; I read and liked it as well.

Bridget Thanks Mary! Great suggestion to go & check out some of the authors from the past, back when they seemed to write more stand alone books & only did trilogies when the story required it not because it was an easy way to make money. We need more original stand alone books;)

Wendy Darling I'm really interested in trying this series...some of my friends really rave. I get similarly frustrated sometimes with series that don't need to be series, though!

Bridget My new plan is to try to hold off on reading until the series is complete more often. That way I can read them back to back & everything is still fresh. I think a lot of authors do see series formats as a cash cow & sometimes drag them out longer than necessary. But a good series is a thing of beauty;). Loved your Anna Dressed in Blood review.

Wendy Darling I think that's smart if you can hold off...but sometimes I can't resist. :) And thanks! Anna was a lot of fun to read.