Lauren's Reviews > Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married

F_50x66
Apr 02, 08

Recommended for: Andrea
Read in February, 2008

I loved this book. I laughed with Lucy and I felt sad for her disappointments. Most of all, I enjoyed Keyes' writing style. Her chatty style made me feel as if I was conversing with a friend. Just like some of my real life friends, I sometimes wanted to bop her on the head and tell her to get a reality check, but that's one of the great things about this book - Lucy is an honest, real life person with real life flaws (and an addiction to pop psychology and men who treat her badly).

The book is about a single in London and her quest to find Mr. Right. The book starts off with a psychic's prediction that the boyfriendless Lucy is getting married in the next 18 months. Lucy doesn't believe it at first, but the psychics predictions with regards to her friends (who got their own psychic readings) started to come true. Lucy ends up meeting Gus, a complete loser, at a party. For some inexplicable reason, she is drawn to Gus' irresponsibility and drug-induced pointless chatter and dates Gus. She convinces herself that she and Gus are meant to be because of the psychic prediction and overlooks some serious character flaws. I won't spoil the story for everyone - while the ending is predictable, how she got there is not - but ultimately Lucy faces childhood demons about her father and realizes that she has a pattern to date men who have similar flaws to her father.

The book includes an interesting cast of characters - her selfish and bossy roommate Karen and her loveable roommate Charlotte, Lucy's workmates and Lucy's childhood friend Daniel. We follow them along as they navigate the complicated London singles scene, partly as friends, partly as "frenemies" (particularly Karen). Yes, we know who Lucy will end up with in the end, but the journey to that predictable ending was very enjoyable.

This novel deserves 4 stars. It is very entertaining, but at times, Keyes' dialogue is meandering and wordy - particularly Gus' dialogue. Aside from this tendency towards wordiness, this is a great light read, predictability and all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married.