Jessica's Reviews > The Washer of the Dead

5920550
Aug 01, 11

bookshelves: my-favourite-books, indian-authors
Read in January, 2011

If you love ghost stories, then this is a fabulous read. I came across it at Crossword in Kemp's Corner, Mumbai under their Indian fiction. It was a lovely impulse buy. Coelho has a wonderful way of combining magical realism into her character's lives - they'll 'haunt' you long after you've finished reading this collection of short stories!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Washer of the Dead.

message 1: by Miriam (new) - added it

Miriam Would you mind saying a little more about the story? There does not seem to be a blurb for it.

Jessica Miriam wrote: "Would you mind saying a little more about the story? There does not seem to be a blurb for it."

Hi Miriam - I tried to add a blurb to it but couldn't figure out how to do it! Do you know how? Here is a short blurb of the product for you:

A woman haunted by the wind. A land where ghosts speak for the voiceless. A washer of the dead who begins to hear them speak . . .

These are stories of the unquiet. Women whisper through this collection. They voice their loves, lives, fears and yearnings.

To label this collection as 'ghost stories' or 'feminist stories' is to miss the nuances and range of female experience. As ghost stories they make you look uneasily over your shoulder; as female narrative they stun you with the power of their keen insight. Whimsical, terrifying and compelling, these powerful and haunting tales about our commonplace fears and tragedies provide a scathing commentary on the lives of women in India and are universal in their appeal.

message 3: by Miriam (new) - added it

Miriam Great, thanks! I think you have to be a Librarian to add the blurb, but having a description in a review or comment is fine by me. This sounds really interesting!