Lori's Reviews > The Road to Peace: Writings on Peace and Justice

The Road to Peace by Henri J.M. Nouwen

F 50x66
May 19, 2008

Read in May, 2008

Many reminders for our daily lives as we try to go about being more "Christ-like," especially in an age where conflict/war seems to be all around us. Nouwen says the call for peace is a call for all people regardless of their many differences, ideologies, ethnic backgrounds, religious connections and social connections. "Peace starts in your heart and in your mind." We're all so quick to judge others and label people and categorize them as good/bad and when we do that, we're essentially playing God--that we somehow stand outside the place where weak, broken, sinful people are. But of course we all are weak and broken and sinful! And when we start playing God, we become like the Devil. It's so frustrating but we're all guilty of this day in and day out... Why are we judgemental--why the constant need to evaluate & criticize others? We're so arrogant and and blind and pretentious to think we're right & perfect and have all the answers. Labeling and judging also prevents us from seeing other people as our fellow "brothers" & sisters" and developing community with them...and we're all worthy of love respect & compassion. Nouwen "A true peacemaker whose heart is anchored in God can look at all humanity--fellow saints and sinners--as men and women who need to be listened to, looked at, and cared for with the love of God. We all belong to the same family."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road to Peace.