Fani's Reviews > Angelfall

Angelfall by Susan Ee

Dec 07, 11

bookshelves: dystopian, heroine-i-loved, starcrossed-lovers, angsty, keepers-non-romance, 6-stars, not-for-the-faint-at-heart, favorite-hero
Recommended to Fani by: Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalking Queen of the Undead, the Bookshelf Stalking Queen of the Undead
Recommended for: Everyone who's not squeamish, post-apocalyptic world lovers
Read from December 06 to 07, 2011

Wow! I can't think of anything to write that will do this book justice, but I'll give it a try.

This a post-apocalyptic scenario, where the earth has been almost completely destroyed by non other than Angels. Buildings, houses, stores are being raided by gangs, while the cars have been abandoned in the middle of the highways blocking them and anyone who's left alive, tries to hide both from the gangs and the angels.

The book starts with the heroine, her schizophrenic mother and handicapped sister trying to leave the city but as they come out of their building, they stumble into a fight between angels. In a midst of confusion, the heroine's sister gets abducted by the angels while Penryn, the heroine, ends up saving one of the angels and takes him to hiding. Her plan is to use him, in order for him to guide her to the angel's lair and find her sister. Thus, the story begins.

This is a story with non-stop action from page one till the very end. There is not a single dull moment in there, while the writing is definitely above average. Concise, fast and to the point, it still manages to give the stark, gruesome image of a post-apocalyptic world without delving into long-winded descriptions. The author seems to barely touch the subject of romance at all during the whole book, and still their connection -which comes through common battles & trust instead of physical beauty or fate- comes so strong and vibrant that you can't help but ache for Penryn and Raffe. This is, YA authors, how romance should be done: no writing about palpitating hearts, dropping stomachs and sweaty hands every single time the heroes set eyes on each other to convince the reader of their love. Show it. Don't just tell about it.

However, even though the heroine is a 17 years old girl, there are enough scenes of gore in there -some even involving children- to make me refrain from labelling it a young-adult book. This is a gritty and dark book, make no mistake about it. It is also the best dystopian I've read since the Hunger Games and one of my favorite books this year. Awesome. Simply awesome.
18 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelfall.

Quotes Fani Liked

Susan Ee
“Here, I’ll show you how to use it. Let me see your foot.”

Susan Ee
“Angels are violent creatures.”
“So I noticed. I used to think they were all sweet and kind.”
“Why would you think that? Even in your Bible, we’re harbingers of doom, willing and able to destroy entire cities. Just because we sometimes warned one or two of you beforehand doesn’t make us altruistic.”

Susan Ee
“I never kid about my warrior demigod status."
"Oh. My. God." I lower my voice, having forgotten to whisper. "You are nothing but a bird with an attitude. Okay, so you have a few muscles, I’ll grant you that. But you know, a bird is nothing but a barely evolved lizard. That’s what you are.”

Susan Ee
“I knew from the start that your loyalty would get you killed. I just never thought it would be your loyalty to me that would do it.”

Susan Ee
“I'm not moping," I whisper back. "Of course you're not. A girl like you, spending time with a warrior demigod like me. What's to mope about? Leaving a wheelchair behind couldn't possibly show up on the radar compared to that."
"You've got to be kidding me."
"I never kid about my warrior demigod status.”

Susan Ee
“That calls for a witty comeback.
"Whatever," I say.”
Susan Ee, Angelfall

12/06/2011 "Holy Moly, what an amazing beginning!!! I'm tired from lack of sleep, sick for days now, and still don't see myself sleeping anytime soon tonight:)" 10 comments
12/06/2011 "“Here, I’ll show you how to use it. Let me see your foot.” “That’s a pretty intimate demand in the angel world. It usually takes dinner, some wine, and sparkling conversation for me to give up my feet.” That calls for a witty comeback. “Whatever,” I say. Okay, so I won’t be getting the Witty Woman of the Year Award." 4 comments
12/06/2011
25.0% "We walk for about an hour before Raffe whispers, “Does moping actually help humans feel better?” We’ve been whispering since we saw the victims on the road. “I’m not moping,” I whisper back. “Of course you’re not. A girl like you, spending time with a warrior demigod like me. What’s to mope about?"...I nearly stumble over a fallen branch. “You have got to be kidding me.” “I never kid about my warrior demigod status.”" 12 comments
12/06/2011
50.0% "Great. Absolutely fantastic!"

message 1: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Yeah! You liked it! This is a little hidden gem - one of the best books of 2011.

Fani I totally agree AH! I didn't see it coming, but it was sure on of 2011's best for me as well. I wonder why it's not more well known. Is it the fact that it's only available in kindle store you think?

message 3: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH I think it's because she is self published. Check out the group page, she's got a film agent for the book already.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead So, so happy. Loved your review. I've marked it as my favorite book of 2011 as well.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review Fani! Those 5 teaser chapters were terrific. So it's only available in Kindle?

message 6: by Fani (last edited Dec 08, 2011 01:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani It's available in kindle and nook Moss. Don't know if either suits you:)

Michelle, right now I can only think of 2 other books contesting for my favorite 2011 along with this one. It certainly is in my top 3! Loved it so much, I doubt I can describe it in any review. Glad that at least a few people here have read it too and can understand how I feel:)

AH, I'll be joining the group for sure. Any idea about when
the second one will come out?

message 7: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH The author has something about book 2 coming out summer of 2012. On the author's FAQ page there is a question - when will it come out in print? and the answer is soon. Sorry no date.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Fani wrote: "It's available in kindle and nook Moss. Don't know if either suits you:) "

Aw boo, no, neither of those work for me. What a shame. Hopefully she gets them into print soon. Your review has got me all excited!

Fani Yes, in her blog she mentions that the book will come out in print soon. I'm looking forward to it as well:)

message 10: by Fani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani You won't regret it!

message 11: by Fani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani Ooooh, I'm so happy:) It's a big favorite of mine!!!

Iliada Fani, after all the talk about 5 books Susan Ee said yesterday that Penryn's story will be a trilogy. The rest of the books will probably be another character's POV. So we'll be getting an ending to Penryn's story in the next book.