Vinaya's Reviews > The Mephisto Covenant: The Redemption of Ajax

The Mephisto Covenant by Trinity Faegen

For everyone who thinks I've lost my mind liking this book, here's a little message:

description

Okay, I'm kidding. I'm kidding. Jeez.

In and of itself, The Mephisto Covenant is a straight-up young adult paranormal romance targeting older teens. (view spoiler) The initial couple of chapters were a little rocky, with way too much info dumping and I was afraid the Debut Author Curse had struck again. However, a couple of chapters in, the writing smoothens out considerably, and the plotline begins to get more interesting.

I actually liked the world building in this book. Sasha is an Anabo, one of the descendants of Aurora, daughter of Adam and Eve. Being born before their banishment from Eden, Aurora (and consequently, her descendants) are beings of pure heart, never knowing negative emotions like rage or jealousy. The Anabo are a threat to Eryx, who steals the souls of humans by promising them what they most desire, and using the captive souls to take over Hell from Lucifer, the keeper of dead souls.

When Sasha is threatened by a group of Eryx's followers, The Ravens, she is rescued by Jax, who promptly infodumps on her, and then wipes her memory so he can infodump on her again, two chapters later. She then loses her mother, and has to move to middle of nowhere, Colorado, which — surprise, surprise! is exactly when her soulmate Jax, resides! And together, they fight the forces of evil and find redemption, blah, blah, blah.

Honestly, this book is full of clichés and deus ex machina plot twists and logical inconsistencies. But. Despite its flaws (and believe me, there are several) it's still a fun read. If you're looking for a book that's challenging and thought-provoking, this is not it. However, if you want an easy afternoon read with pretty girls and hot boys and soulmates, it's perfect.

There are a lot of standard YA plot formulas that ought to have annoyed me, but didn't. I was a little worried that I was getting soft in my old age, but I started Hourglass and couldn't get past page 2, so it's not me, phew! I think it's just that Faegen manages to work them into the story in such a way that they don't get too jarring.

So despite the fact that Jax and Sasha are 'soulmates' who are instantly attracted to each other, they don't immediately envision happily-ever-after. Love is something that comes way, way later in the book, after all the trials and the tribulations and the angst. Jax has a hero-complex, but then again, which YA hero doesn't? He's standard issue YA hero, hot and tortured and angsty and protective, but also sweet and his relationship with his brothers earns him bonus points.

Sasha is more complex in terms of how I reacted to her. She's sometimes emotionally mature, sometimes stupid beyond belief, and her eternal angsting about her relationship with Jax does tend to get repetitive. On the other hand, she knees a guy in the balls, and I always have a soft spot for heroines who can get away with that.

So, this book's plus points? Its mythology, a decent plotline, and a nice romance. What didn't work for me was the homogenity of plot devices, the sugary-sweet ending and the pages and pages of you-are-bad-but-you-are-good-but-I-like-you-but-I-can't-be-with-you.

All in all, this book reminds me a little of Spellbound, although I liked this book a little more than I did Speelbound. It's got the same indefinable attractiveness that somehow ends up offsetting the sameness of it all. If you're a romance fan, I would definitely recommend this book to you, but like I said, it's more of an easy read than a challenging one.
21 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mephisto Covenant.

oliviasbooks *grins* I have tagged this with guilty-pleasure, too. But fluff-fluffy-fluffiest hits it, as well.

Vinaya Yeah, but surprisingly, I liked it! I thought, about five pages in, that I was going to HATE it, but then it suddenly took off and I ended up liking it quite a bit.

oliviasbooks I was pretty much annoyed by the many chlichès and the predictability, but still, I enjoyed ripping through the pages.

message 4: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon so... I was right to pre-order it then :-P I fell in love with the cover to be honest he he

oliviasbooks You express it very well, Vinaya.

Shannon, the book is unfortunately nothing like the cover, but if you are in for a little guilty pleasure that simply cannot be taken overly seriously, you won't be disappointed. Sometimes it read like its own parody. I would pitch this as "Lara Adrian for older teens". Do you like Lara Adrian and the "Black and Decker Brotherhood" series by ... (forgot the author, but maybe you know who I mean?). Same as the latter the Mephisto series will also hand a perfect bride one by one to a string of tormented supernatural brothers (see homepage of the author).

message 6: by Flannery (new)

Flannery Hmph. Well, it sounds like I'll give this one a go when I need something fun to read. And sex! *gasp* You're right, those scenes in YA are few and far between. This book wasn't even on my radar but now it totally is.

oliviasbooks ... Flannery. It's not just sex, but also magic sperm. A lot of ridiculous fun, really. But at the same time, enjoyably written.

message 8: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon oliviasbooks wrote: "You express it very well, Vinaya.

Are you talking about Avenger's Angel by Heather Killough-Walden? thats the only one I can think of with that story line....

oliviasbooks No, I meant Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward and the rest of that series. but I have to admit I only read the first. It's that concept: Each volume deals with a different boy/man from the same clan or family and his hard path to love.

message 10: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon oliviasbooks wrote: "No, I meant Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward and the rest of that series. but I have to admit I only read the first. It's that concept: Each volume deals with a different boy/man from the same clan or ..."

lol ok, I havent read those ones, but i think its the new thing in YA and the whole fallen angel thing along thos matchmaking lines

Alana Just finished and through the whole book, I kept thinking "Wow, this is so similar to JR Ward's Black Brotherhood series, but YA!" And then, of course, there was sex and it got closer (though nowhere near as intense as Ward's novels). Fluffy, indeed, but a great review, Vinyana. It quite echoes my own feelings on it.

Angela Vergara how can people hate this ?!? .. the drama the love .. its blows my mind !! btw apparently there's going to be a book about erxy as well