erica's Reviews > Letter to a Christian Nation

Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris

Sep 03, 08

Recommended for: angry atheists
Read in September, 2008

Good god what a turn off (love that irony?) -- for an atheist even! In the same way Harris vilifies all Christians for being akin to fundamentalists, or at least tolerant of them, I fear is why anyone who denies the existence of god, much less is an avowed atheist, may be vilified for being an atheist of the Harris variety.

Even if I agree with 75% of what he says, simply put, it can be classified as epic extremism on the opposite end of the spectrum. (I liked how Dawkins put the levels of belief and non-belief into a spectrum in the God Delusion. It's a good cross-reference.)

Tonight I spoke, in brief, with my therapist about this book (he has also read it) and we both agreed that Sam Harris is a guy with an axe to grind. "Let's hope he's got a good therapist," my guy says. HA.

So anyway, if you're an angry atheist with an axe to grind, read this. Otherwise, you can head on over to one of my favorite blogs, The Friendly Atheist, and get real.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Letter to a Christian Nation.