Rachel's Reviews > The Scent of Shadows

The Scent of Shadows by Vicki Pettersson

Apr 02, 08

bookshelves: fantasy
Recommended to Rachel by: amazon.com
Recommended for: people who like fantasy and kick-ass chicks
Read in March, 2008

A few inconsistent moments but a great start to a series.

Joanne Archer is a failure in the eyes of the world: a rich daddy's boy that doesn't do anything useful with her time.

In reality, Archer roams the streets of Las Vegas working with the homeless and taking pictures of them to publicize their plight. That all changes on the eve of her 25th birthday, when she is abruptly inaugurated into the Zodiac as she transitions into her third phase of life. The Zodiac exists to keep balance in the world, countermanding the actions of (you guessed it) the shadow Zodiac. Best yet, both groups are chronicled by a comic book owner and his zany kids! (Ok, that is pretty fun and cool).

But in order to become The Archer she was born to be, find her mother, kill her true father, and save the day, she nearly loses everything: members of the shadow Zodiac have finally scented her out and will stop at nothing to kill her before her metamorphosis, because she is not only born to the Zodiac, she bears the heritage of both the Zodiac and the Shadow Zodiac in her blood, she is the Kryios, and her coming is foretold.

Ha ha. Alright, it actually was a good book! I rather disliked sanctimonious Joanna (whose old ex calls her Jo-jo, ew) from the beginning and was prepared to hate the book, but it really grew on me. I am looking forward to the next installment.

Interesting world-building, I don't entirely understand it all yet but am looking forward to the next book to clue me in on some of the things I didn't get.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scent of Shadows.