Charity's Reviews > A Clockwork Orange

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Jan 23, 09

bookshelves: 1001books, brit-lit, ml100, radcliffe, wtf, tunes, faves, apocalyptic-dystopian
Recommended for: lovers of dystopias
Read in October, 2008

If you're worried that you don't have the full edition of this book, let me break down the formula for you. A full-content edition will have:

3 sections, each containing 7 chapters, for a total of 21 chapters.

The 21st chapter was only omitted from American editions published prior to 1990, so if your edition was published after that, you should be golden.

Well, maybe golden is a subjective term because I personally found the 21st (final) chapter to be the weakest one in the book. Frankly, I applaud Kubrick for leaving it out of the movie adaptation...Burgess's approval be damned! Bravo, Stanley! Bravo!

Many people will get hung up on the Nadsat language Anthony Burgess uses throughout. Don't get hung up on it. If your edition doesn't have glossary of the slang in the back, you can easily find a list of the words and meanings on the internet. You won't need a list for long. You'll be soaking up the words and throwing around the terms yourself in no time. I think I was saying 'eggiweg' while making breakfast for 3 days after finishing the book.

All I can say is that the teen language really adds so much to book. You can't help but remember that teenagers are the ones doing these horrible deeds because you are reading nothing but teen language. Imagine a modern-day version of this book featuring 'textspeak'...scary.

I ultimately gave the book 5 stars because it was truly well-written (still not giving in on the final chapter though) and timeless. One of the major themes will give you a lot to chew on: Can it really be called reform if your free will has been overridden by conditioning? If you no longer have the ability to make choices, are you really cured?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Clockwork Orange.

10/03/2008 page 57
show 2 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Judith Your rating of this one makes me think I should re-read it! I read in many years ago and found it pretty weird. I might just really like it now that I'm old!

I love to follow your reading list. We have such similar tastes!

message 2: by Mapeenx (new)

Mapeenx may i know how many pages thus the full edition have?

Randolph Carter Most people hate the "last," or as you call it, the 21st chapter, and Stanley Kubrick rightly left it out of the film, as he rightly changed the ending of The Shining.

Both authors hated him for it.