Fallon's Reviews > The City of Ember

The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau

Sep 01, 11

bookshelves: kids-books, kindle, dystopian, series
Read from July 31 to August 01, 2011

First I must say that I am surprised that this is a debut novel. It won many awards or nominations when it came out in 2003 and a few since then. This is considered a children’s or young reader’s book, aimed at the middle school aged kiddos. It does have something in it that speaks to adults as well, of course most well written books do. I will say that I hadn’t heard of this book until there was a movie in 2008. My family watched and enjoyed the movie, (love Bill Murray) it was an interesting concept. A seemingly dystopian city aptly named Ember several generations after some unknown disaster. No one knows what the sky is or the sun or what’s beyond the darkness. The darkness is a big theme it seems. Not only the darkness that threatens Ember as the lights begin to fade, or the darkness in the ‘unknown region’ but also the darkness within and realizing that it is there. It always seems that children are the best at seeing these things, seeing corruption or the good or a different way of looking at the world. Adults are just so….clouded, which is true we are. Anyway, I thought this was a great book it was such a fast read and easy, and full of great quotes. Much better than the movie, though the movie was still enjoyable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The City of Ember.

Quotes Fallon Liked

Jeanne DuPrau
“The trouble with anger is, it gets hold of you. And then you aren't the master of yourself anymore. Anger is. And when anger is the boss, you get unintended consequences.”

Jeanne DuPrau
“There is so much darkness in Ember, Lina. It's not just outside, it's inside us, too. Everyone has some darkness inside. It's like a hungry creature. It wants and wants and wants with a terrible power. And the more you give it, the bigger and hungrier it gets.”

Jeanne DuPrau
“The main thing to do is pay attention. Pay close attention to everything, notice what no one else notices. Then you'll know what no one else knows, and that's always useful.”

07/31/2011