Aileen's Reviews > Liberal Fascism: The Secret History of the American Left from Mussolini to the Politics of Meaning

Liberal Fascism by Jonah Goldberg

F 50x66
Apr 15, 2009

Read in April, 2009

Okay, it took me forever to finish this book. Nonfiction is not easy to read when the only reading time you have is right before bed. And look at the cover - not like I could take this one on the metro!

Anyway, I love Jonah Goldberg's writing. He's easy to understand, and funny, but not too funny.

This book was fascinating to me. I've always learned that Fascists are RIGHT-wing extremists. While I really think people's comparisons of Bush to Hitler were out of line, I could understand what they meant by it. But this book really opened my eyes to the fact that the National Socialists were called that for a reason. (the book doesn't just talk about the Nazis - it talks about Mussolini's fascism and other fascist movements).

To my Liberal friends - the one theme that keeps recurring in this book is that he is NOT saying that Liberals are Nazis. All he is saying was that the Nazis were Liberal, not conservative, and that fascism is essentially a Liberal concept. It is a really interesting book, and for those of you with an interest in what "the other side" is thinking, you might want to pick it up. Oh, and as a bonus, he does get to Pat Buchanan, George W Bush, and Compassionate Conservatives in the Afterword. :-)

I thought in spite of its title, this book was a very fair and even-handed assessment of the history of politics in America. He does not say that Liberals are bad people for believing these things, and he even points out why someone might be attracted to these philosophies, and why people on either side are tempted by the ideas of fascism.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Liberal Fascism.