Jeosa's Reviews > The Vampire's Assistant

The Vampire's Assistant by Darren Shan

Jul 31, 11

bookshelves: reading-mulitple-times-over

A decent follow-up in the series, albeit a little predictable. As soon as he befriended RV, the passionate eco-warrior, you pretty much know where the story is headed. I was disturbed by the ending though not repulsed, I've read gorier scenes. The fact that the ending stirred some emotions in me made me think that Shan is up to something good with this series.

Some readers complained about the author being grammatically challenged. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. Wrong grammars doesn't really get to me when the story-telling is in first person, especially when he's just a teenage boy. In fact, it makes it more realistic for me. John Irving and JD Salinger doesn't have impeccable grammar, although truth be told that Shan's writing is leaps and bounds behind Irving and Salinger. When you decide to read the series don't expect a scholarly work, just read and enjoy the story. As I said, it's a light read and doesn't really require burning nerve endings. It's as enjoyable as watching a romantic-comedy... if the romantic comedy has Shan's twisted sense of humor and macabre plots.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vampire's Assistant.