Scott's Reviews > Rock, Paper, Scissors: Game Theory in Everyday Life

Nov 29, 15

it was ok
bookshelves: x-2011-read, self-help
Read from August 09 to 17, 2011

Let me tell you, the first fifty pages of this book had me pumped to learn some game theory. Prisoner's dilemma, nash equilibrium.... some really cool, interesting stuff backed by cool stories to explain these concepts.

Somewhere around page 100, I hated this book. Unbearably boring. I knew little of game theory, but many of the ideas expressed seem like common sense.

Ok, so if I want to go to the ball game and you want to go to the play, let's flip a coin. Ok. got it.

Basic idea of the book: how can we cooperate as a bunch of selfious humans. Well, start TRUSTING people you bum. Oh, that's not a win-win. Ok. got it.

Read the first couple chapters and then continue at page 200 and read the glossary of terms.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rock, Paper, Scissors.

08/17/2011 page 150
61.0% "The first 50 pages of this book had me pumped to learn some game theory. Prisoner's dilemma, nash equilibrium.... some really cool, interesting stuff with cool stories to explain these concepts. Somewhere around page 100, I hated this book. Unbearably boring. Many of the ideas expressed are common sense. Except then he'd spin some game t. Then he starts talking about animals 'farting' really fast to communicate."
show 2 hidden updates…