Shelley's Reviews > The Best Laid Plans

The Best Laid Plans by Sarah Mayberry

Jul 31, 11

bookshelves: chicklitromance
Read from July 30 to 31, 2011

Alex is 39 and has realized that her biological clock is running low. She wants a baby badly, doesn't feel she has the time to find another boyfriend, and so investigates insemination. Her best work friend ends up offering to donate and co-parent. Hilarity ensues.

I actually loved this book a really lot, except it was so down on insemination and single parenting. Since my best friend went that route, painting everyone who chooses it as desperate and settling really nettled me. It's a shame, because this was the best built romance I've seen lately, with excellent pacing, wonderful characters and a love story that felt very real. If the author had just had the characters realize that just because it wasn't for *them* didn't mean it was a sucky choice, I could have given this 4.5 stars. :(

High points included Ethan and Derek's relationship (and Ethan's breakdown), an actually and demonstrably smart and successful female lead, and the perfect build from friendship to love.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best Laid Plans.