Debbie's Reviews > Forsaken

Forsaken by James David Jordan

Jul 31, 11

bookshelves: christian, suspense, fiction
Read in July, 2011

"Forsaken" is a Christian general fiction novel with some suspense. It wasn't really what I expected. Though I fully agree that some things are worth dying for, I felt like the characters missed why Christ is worth dying for. The ending didn't inspire me like I think it was meant to.

The characters were varied, complex, and dealt with realistic struggles (alcoholism, adultery, kidnapping, etc.) in realistic ways. I think a lot of Christians would sympathize with the "human side" of this "great preacher." However, I didn't agree with his view that Peter and Paul (of the Bible) were so willing to suffer and die for Jesus because of profound guilt they felt over denying Jesus/persecuting Christians earlier. The preacher said he understood grace, but I don't think he really did. He had noble ideas, but he did them for the wrong reason (in my opinion, and--it seemed--the opinion of some of the characters in the book), and I found that sad.

The suspense was created mainly by physical danger to the main characters. The descriptions were vivid though not highly detailed.

Most of the characters were Christians, though some were more nominal and others more devout. The Christian faith was a major theme of the story, but the main character (and the reader) were never "preached" at. There were no sex scenes. There was a very minor amount of fake bad language. Overall, it was an interesting, well-written book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forsaken.