Scooper Speaks's Reviews > Highland Bride

Highland Bride by Hannah Howell

Aug 07, 11

Read in July, 2011

Favorite Lines: “And, weel, to tell the truth, I can ne’er fully forget that I’m sticking my precious pintle into a well-used vessel.” (p. 133)

Do you love Hannah Howell’s Scottish romances? If so, you will be thrilled to hear Highland Bride, originally released in 2002, is being re-released in August. It has a new cover, but is filled with the tasty goodness of the Murrays’ Highland series.

This book is a classic romance set in Scotland. There is no deep story line or mystery to figure out, but there is something to be said about a good, old-fashioned, girl is coerced into marrying boy, and falls in love type of story. That’s what this is.

Highland Bride is part of a series, but it reads as a stand alone. The heroine, Gillyanne, is loveable and giving. She is intelligent and willing to risk herself for others. She doesn’t go out of her way to find trouble, but as the mistress in a home that has not had a “real” mistress in years; not since almost all of the men were killed in a battle. Connor, the hero, wears a hard facade. He had to in order to assure his family survived the devastation of a feud which killed his family. Now, he has a chance at love but he might miss it because he doesn’t know how to show his feelings.

Lately it seems like I haven’t loved both the main characters in the books I read. That is not true with Highland Bride. I loved how Gilly was spirited without being TSTL. I enjoyed reading about Connor’s misconceptions and watching them change as Gilly taught him the correct ways to do things. He didn’t fight. He understood she had something to offer in the relationship and gladly accepted her aid.

In the end I’m so very glad I read Highland Bride. It’s a comfort book for me. It’s right up there with Garwood’s old, Scottish romances. It’s not as funny, but I smiled as I read the book. It made me happy and I’ll be rereading it often over the years.
Scooper Speaks

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Highland Bride.