Fonzie's Reviews > Ghost Story

U_50x66
Aug 08, 11

bookshelves: currently-reading

Wow.

After the 4 plus months Butcher needed to write this I expected something epic. So I was a little fearful of finally reading the book - I mean I usually read them in one night and then have to wait a whole year for the next one.

Not this one, though. This book is a huge disappointment. I have been trying to read it for 3 days now, and couldn't get further than half of it. I keep drifting off to wash the dishes, collect laundry, read a better book even.

Gone is the wit, the sarcasm, the spark, everything I loved in the previous books. This one is gritty and boring and moves at a snail's pace. It feels like Butcher had to fill more pages so he wrote fillers. Fluff. Oh and Sir Whatshisname is the most boring character in the series.

This is not the real stuff. After 12 books of the Dresden files I stand bewildered, not sure if Butcher lost his touch or simply doesn't care. Maybe he expects us, that after 12 great books, we will lap it up no matter how bad it is? After pushing the release date back 4 months?! (Come to think of it, it should have been my first clue.)

I'm disappointed. I can't stress how much.

This book isn't worth it. And definitely wasn't worth the wait.

*update*

I finally finished it a few days ago.
The last third of the book did shed some light on what happened, why it happened. For me it wasn't much of a surprise to learn who killed Harry - or why. Sure, the "how" of it did interest me, and it was written nicely, but it still didn't make up for the utter boredom of the first half of the book.

And even if the ending isn't as big of a cliffhanger as the last one, it still is one. I would be really annoyed if I liked the book and wanted more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost Story.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Carrie So I should stick with it? There is hope? I've been trying to read this for 3-4 months.... and am on page 182. Great review, thanks! :)

Fonzie Well, there is some light at the end of the tunnel, imho. It gets better some. But for me, it wasn't quite good enough to make me want to read more Dresden Files books for a while.

I could also argue that there were some mistakes regarding the killer's identity, but I won't spoil it for you.

If you feel up to it, finish the book. Some answers will be given, so it might be worth the boredom.

Anita Okay. Here it is months later. I will try to plow through it. I was so disappointed. After having the one Dresden book where the vampire women were fighting someone else crawling on the ceiling ... I don't remember but it was good. I just remember not being able to put it down. And now this? Ok. I'll finish it.

Fonzie Well, this book decided it for me. I'm not going to pick up another Dresden Files book for a couple of years.
And even then I'll first take a look at the negative reviews, because it appears that many people still like the books, even though I feel the quality of the writing has dropped considerably.