Meredith's Reviews > Homer & Langley

Homer & Langley by E.L. Doctorow

F_50x66
Oct 08, 12

Read in January, 2011

2.5/5: A unique, fictional story based on the two hermits who lived in NYC and became famous for their hording and subsequent deaths. Well-written and an easy read (and unique), but couldn't relate to the characters AT all - seemed a touch unbelievable at times (sometimes their behavior didn't jive with their character, to me). I think my expectation going into it was (after wikipedia-ing the true story) 'interesting-I want to learn more about these men and the mind of a horder'. But, that's not what this book will give you (so my expectations led to a disappointment). It's fictional and not true to the real story and, to me, doesn't go into that much depth of their psyche. Homer, the brother who is telling the story, rarely reveals any 'deep thought', which bothered me, as I love getting deep. Their life is very dissatisfying and fleeting. I prefer stories of hope and redemption, which this is not. I would be interested in talking with the author to hear his 'analysis' of his created characters (what makes them tick, for example).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homer & Langley.