Julie Davis's Reviews > God Is Love--Deus Caritas Est: Encyclical Letter

God Is Love--Deus Caritas Est by Pope Benedict XVI

May 08, 12

Read from May 05 to 07, 2012

This was my third time through Pope Benedict's brilliant first encyclical God Is Love. Our Catholic women's book club read it for our May discussion.

Just reading the opening paragraphs made me remember what a wonderful piece of thinking and writing this is. And how brilliant Pope Benedict is at expressing not only the intellectual but also the heart of the matter. He also shows his practical side and that he is not isolated in an ivory tower but understands very well what it means to be human, craving the love of God and of our fellow men.

This is a piece I could recommend to everyone: atheists wanting to know the point of Christianity, non-Christians wanting to know the heart of the Gospel, Christians wanting to know more about Catholics and ... more than anyone ... to Catholics who need to be refreshed in their faith and reminded that love is the heart of God and the heart of our faith. What a powerful work by someone who thought so deeply and yet is able to communicate so well. Amazing.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God Is Love--Deus Caritas Est.