Laurel's Reviews > Howl's Moving Castle

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones

Aug 23, 11

bookshelves: how-to-make-memorable-characters, look-something-original, that-cover-unf, precious-things, ya, daww, fantasy
Recommended to Laurel by: My Brain
Read from August 15 to 23, 2011

Howl's Moving Castle tells the story of Sophie Hatter, a girl who is transformed into an old woman through an act of jealousy by the Witch of the Waste. She goes on to work for the Wizard Howl, who is said to eat young girls' souls.

This has got to be one of the most entertaining books I've read. Having seen Miyazaki's version first and hearing from a friend that the book and movie differed greatly, I tried my best not to compare them (except giving Howl Christian Bale's voice in my head. I COULDN'T STOP IT OKAY? That and I couldn't help but imagine him as such:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
WILL YOU BE MINE?

Moving on, the plot was well driven, as well as entertaining and fun. Saying that the characters were great is an understatement. Sophie Hatter is a wonderful character with spark, strength, and preseverance, and Howl is the lovably vain hoarder. Every character had their own voice, and I was drawn to every one of them.

This is an enjoyable read, one that you'd want to have again and again. As far as relating to the movie, there are the many differences I see that changed and were placed elsewhere for the sake of shoving the book into a 2 hour time slot. But both movie and book are fantastic in their own ways, and I can't say it's fair to compare the two when they are wonderfully different.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Howl's Moving Castle.

Quotes Laurel Liked

Diana Wynne Jones
“You must admit I have a right to live in a pigsty if I want.”

Diana Wynne Jones
“I hope your bacon burns.”

Diana Wynne Jones
“Yes, you are nosy. You're a dreadfully nosy, horribly bossy, appallingly clean old woman. Control yourself. You're victimizing us all.”

08/15/2011 page 53
16.0% "I love the writing. If I wasn't at work, I wouldn't be putting this book down."
08/15/2011 page 122
37.0% "Oh Howl, thanks to Miyazaki, everything you say is in the voice of Christian Bale. You're so classy."
08/16/2011 page 130
40.0% "But Calcifer, vain people can be so much fun to watch!! D: I'm defending Heartless Howl too much..."
08/17/2011 page 224
68.0% "You tell 'im Sophie."
08/19/2011 page 248
75.0% "Oh man, had to reread the illusion battle to really follow it. It's great nonetheless."
show 4 hidden updates…