Graeme Roberts's Reviews > The Charming Quirks of Others

The Charming Quirks of Others by Alexander McCall Smith

Jul 31, 2011

Read from July 25 to 31, 2011

I just love Isabel Dalhousie and her philosophical meanderings, despite the flaws of the series, which become more obvious with each book. When will Jamie (Isabel's beloved) and Cat (Isabel's niece and Jamie's former girlfriend) be more than two dimensional. Cat hasn't been allowed to grow, despite her increasing experience of men, who are mostly unsuitable. Perhaps too much about complete love and total immersion in each other, but I guess that I need to understand if that exists.

This book laments, even more than the others, the regrettable importance of beauty to sexual attraction, while readily acknowledging that Jamie is a young Scots Greek god, Cat is lovely, and even the slightly older Isabel is a very lovely woman. I am pleased to put myself in the same aesthetic category of rampant male sexuality as the author, Alexander McCall Smith, who could only be described as kind, intelligent, funny and charming, even while wearing his kilt with his sporran showing.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Charming Quirks of Others.