Jessie's Reviews > Keepsake Crimes

Keepsake Crimes by Laura Childs

Aug 08, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: mystery-american, mystery-cozy, mystery-1950-to-current, crafts, recipes, fiction, owned
Read from July 31 to August 02, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

This is the first in Laura Childs scrapbooking mystery series. I was interested to read it because it is set in New Orleans, Louisiana, and because I'm quite mystified by the popularity of scrapbooking. I had a scrap book as a girl and even then I found it boring to put together.

The author's portrayal of Southern women and the Southern lifestyle struck me as a bit stereotypical from the outset. Her description of New Orleans reminds me of my description after a short vacation there, all about the charm and old world ambiance. This drastically changed after actually living there, as bugs, humidity, squalor, and poverty aren't on the tour. Gerry Schmidt, the author, is a marketing executive from Minnesota, I believe. Maybe she'll be more realistic and less like a travel brochure in the next books.

The heroine does little sleuthing, mostly poking around while having scapbook parties with regular customors who have little to do but attend balls and spend time and money making scrapbooks. Mysteries where the author adds charactors and clues to the last chapter in order to have someone to hang the crime on are fairly unsatisfying.

The author includes basic scrapbooking tips and generic cajun-ish recipes at the end of the book, a common marketing ploy these days.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keepsake Crimes.

message 1: by C. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C. I am stunned by how many fail to see what a weak pair of mysteries this entailed; while wondrous books receive low ratings. Scarcely anyone gave fewer than three stars on this. It shows a scary lack of discernment between good and poor literature. All the characters were already mentioned but nothing was believable or plotted well. Gabby's pictures of the parade den weren't considered right away? Shamus could tell all about one mystery whenever he liked? Why wasn't Carmela nabbed alone at the cemetery, instead of being followed and then being brought there? Do the fraudulent realtors own her building after all?