Sandpiper's Reviews > Zombies and Shit

Zombies and Shit by Carlton Mellick III

Jul 31, 2011

did not like it

Have you ever had a kid tell you something and he gets really excited and starts making up stuff along the way? That's what reading this book was like. "And then this happened and then this, and oh yeah! this too, and..." *sigh*

I was excited to read this, but that excitement quickly turned to disappointment the more I read. I wasn't expecting a literary masterpiece, but I was expecting something half-way readable. I've read a few books with damned-awful writing, but the story saved it. But the writing and execution for this book was just so bad that nothing could save this book for me. Nothing. Not even the awesome story idea.

The Good:
- The premise. Zombies + Survival-type Reality TV. Sounds good, right? Not so much with this book.

The Bad & The Ugly:
- The. Writing. Is. Very. Choppy. and in many places the clumsy are the sentences, I mean the sentences are clumsy.
- All telling, no showing, which leads to long, boring (...zZZZZzz...) uh, where was I? Oh yeah, long boring info dumps, which could've been tolerable if the writing wasn't extremely bland.

Excerpt:
"He became friends with Scavy the day Scavy and his crew tried to mug him. They asked for his money, but Brick told him no. When they got violent, Brick didn’t back down. He beat one of the punks unconscious with his bare fists. He dislocated one of their shoulders. He sent another running off into the alleyway. No matter how many came at him, he wouldn’t give in."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zombies and Shit.

Thinkingbandit Did you not even like the T-2000?

Gunne To be honest I consider this detached telling-not-showing a bit of a style (character or author's), so I wasn't very annoyed by it.