E.B.'s Reviews > The Awakening / The Struggle

The Awakening / The Struggle by L.J. Smith

Sep 10, 08

Recommended for: Potential Twilight readers. READ THIS INSTEAD!
Read in August, 2008 , read count: 1

A pre-Harry Potter young adult series that was a guilty pleasure for me at age 26 to be reading in public. But I couldn't put it down. L.J. Smiths characters were a little flat, yes. Her settings felt 2 dimensional to me and I often couldn't get a grasp of what exactly the characters were really like as people, sure. But that doesn't mean the story wasn't spot on! Once I ignored the flaws in Smiths construction of her Sunnydale-esq town with it's Vampire drama lurking in the shadows of a popularity battle between 2 high school girls, I became addicted. I literally couldn't put the book down. I just couldn't wait to see what was going to happen next.

Vampire Diaries reads like a CW teen drama. In a good way! Which made me wonder why this hasn't already been adapted to film or TV yet.

Forget that other, hallow, vapid vampire series- This is the Girl-meets-Vampire story to read. Same plot- only L.J. Smith does it better!
11 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Awakening / The Struggle.

Sarah B Did you know that the show will actually be on the CW?
Such prescience!

E.B. Sarah wrote: "Did you know that the show will actually be on the CW?
Such prescience!"

I don't know why Hollywood doesn't just ask me ;) haha

Jennifer I agree, this was done far better and in 1991 way before Twilight. I LOVE these books more than Twilight

Tanya Marie woah!! and you predicted how it should be on CW!! nice! :)

message 5: by ♥♥Mari♥♥ (last edited Oct 20, 2010 03:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

♥♥Mari♥♥ There's no way in the universe I will EVER love another vamp series more than The Twilight Saga!!!

message 6: by J (new)