April's Reviews > The Postmistress

The Postmistress by Sarah Blake

Jul 31, 2011

bookshelves: 2011-reads
Read from July 31 to August 02, 2011

A story about the power of words, both written and spoken. What happens to people after their story is told?

Iris James stands between two worlds, as the town's postmistress she sees more than most people. In a time where the written word delivered messages of life, love, and loss, she held a great deal of power in her hands. Frankie Bard, an American foreign correspondent broadcasting visions of war overseas delivers her message in the form of stories. In a magical course of events, these two meet face to face and weave together a powerful story that leaves you wondering what happened to each of them in the end, beyond the last written word of the novel.

The words of Frankie Bard's broadcasts touched me, as did her passion to tell the stories no one else knew, to get people to understand, to pay attention. Her conviction to risk her life for what she believed in and the irony of her meeting with Will Fitch forged an unforgettable image in my mind. The power of words left unsaid or those one choses to utter and the role they play in our stories will leave me thinking of this book and it's characters for a long time. Powerful, thought provoking book. Amazing read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Postmistress.