Bonnie's Reviews > Water for Elephants

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Apr 03, 08

Recommended for: Anyone

I enjoyed this book for several reasons. I liked the fact that a 90 or 93 year old was looking back on his life. The flashbacks were well done. And although the portrayal of the circus life and experience was well done, my favorite part of the book was seeing how the main character was treated in a nursing home facility. It was sad but so very on target -- what do we do with our elderly family members once they have outlived their mates, once they have become a "burden." Too bad not all seniors have the option that this protagonist had at the end. Wouldn't that have been lovely.

So really, was the circus angle the most important part of this book? Perhaps. I could tell that Gruen had done her research. She knew about circus trains, about the animal trainers, about the food, getting run out of small towns, the animals. But even more, she shows a reader that she knows human nature and then I guess, everything else falls into place.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Water for Elephants.