Marci's Reviews > U is for Undertow

U is for Undertow by Sue Grafton

Jul 31, 11

Read in July, 2011

I liked this entry in the Kinsey Millhone saga. I liked that she still has Henry to bounce ideas off. I liked that she is still friends with Cheney Phillips after their affair ended. I liked that there was the a p.o.v. shift as in the last book, this time with several characters getting to contribute, not just Kinsey and not just Kinsey and the villain.

New characters, even those with just one scene to play, are fully rounded, such as the dog owner and the P.I. from Kinsey's distant past. Her small group of regulars play their expected roles but are not given more than is necessary to set the scenes they play.

I loved the way Kinsey confronts and handles her family past. She definitely does not allow herself to "get caught in the undertow." She triumphs, in my opinion, and I always like to see character growth, especially after 20 books.

I also like the description. Some people have complained that there's too much in these books. I don't think so. I like to know where we are and what things look like. It helps the movie in my mind. I think it comes from Sue Grafton's screenwriting experience, but all her books read like movies in my mind. I like that.

Here be spoilers--(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read U is for Undertow.