David's Reviews > Red: The Heroic Rescue

Red by Ted Dekker

Feb 15, 12

bookshelves: 2012, audiobooks
Read from February 13 to 15, 2012

Picking up immediately where "Black" left off, Red is the 2nd book of the Circle series (originally a trilogy). Dekker's skill as a thriller and fantasy writer is superb. He does such a good job of balancing two very different worlds and the parallel characters: the world of ours with an ongoing biological terrorist attack and government seizure on a global scale, and the futuristic neo-Earth with the warring factions, magical lakes and different customs. Thomas Hunter, the protagonist, discovers more proofs that the realities are linked, that the choices in one affect the other, and that it's imperative that he saves both worlds. He also finds that ones who believe him and come into contact with him while he sleeps (and visits the other reality) are able to do the same, linking with certain individuals. In "Black", Thomas was a loner. In "Red", he gains his circle.

Theologically, this trilogy is obviously a fantastical retelling of the entire Bible. "Black" gave us the Old Testament, from the new Eden to the Fall, to the Exodus (and the complainers), the military victories and the split nations. "Red" leads into the Gospels with a man named Justin who bears a strong resemblance to our world's Messiah. In our world, the Swedish mastermind Svenson proves to be a scarier villain than he did in the first book.

Why I gave the first book five stars, and only four here, is because of my waning feelings towards the theological story in Dekker's re-imagined way. Not that I find fault with it, but it seems so much more fantastical than the true Gospels. I think non-Christians who have a hard time buying the actual New Testament would probably snicker more at this version, which just seems very hard to swallow at times. I do applaud Ted Dekker for the effort, and think it's otherwise a terrific story, and look forward to continuing with "White".
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red.