Shanae's Reviews > Confessions of a Video Vixen

Confessions of a Video Vixen by Karrine Steffans

Aug 02, 11

bookshelves: e-books, non-fiction, women-writers
Read from July 31 to August 02, 2011

I've given this memoir (?) 3 stars because the writing isn't great and I feel that Steffans took a few shortcuts in writing this cautionary tale/memoir. She decided to omit the names of some of the people she had relationships with to protect them, she never really remembered the reasons WHY she and Kool G Rap (and others) had arguments, and as a result the story is kind of halfway told. It seems like she wants us to assume certain things to make the tale more salacious. It's interesting that she hid Papa's true identity from readers because he was so good to her. Yet she revealed much about her relationship with Ray J, who I assume she "loved" just as much. Maybe I'm wrong. Moreover, the problems she had with her mother do not seem true. Based on her attitude, Steffans seems like too much like her mother to ever "like" her and surprisingly, she comes from an immigrant family that did not stress respect.

Steffans' story might have made a great cautionary tale had she written something of realistic fiction. She may have felt safer writing this story if she had based it on her life. She could have been much more descriptive and free in her writing had she taken that route.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions of a Video Vixen.

07/31/2011 page 103
46.0% "I'm shocked she was enamored by Ice T. That seems so hard to do."