Anthony Chavez's Reviews > The Walking Dead, Vol. 04: The Heart's Desire

The Walking Dead, Vol. 04 by Robert Kirkman

Nov 20, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novel-manga
Read from August 15 to 17, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Trouble hits the new "sanctuary" AKA the prison our group has taken over. 2 of the 3 original surviving prisoners attempt to take over the prison and leave a gate to cell block A open. Zombies attack and in the process of taking out the zombies Rick kills one of the prisoners who was trying to take over. Tyreese cheats on Carol with a newcomer throwing Rick into a crazy rage, both air the skeletons in their closet to the public and get in a fist fight, Rick losing. The group loses trust in Rick and decides to go to a committee system of leadership, and Rick doesn't understand why nobody sees things his way or how dire their situation really is.

I enjoyed this volume. It boiled down to an everyone vs. Rick sort of model which I hope the volumes going forward steer away from, I mean it was good to see the leadership role put to question and to see how the stress level of being the leader in charge of survival was taking its toll on Rick, but it can't continue along this path without losing my interest. Also I like that the artwork has improved a little from the last volume, its a little bit easier to differentiate who is who; however, I still find myself every now and then looking in the back of a frame saying, "Wait, who is that? Or is that somebody I know but because he is in the back he got the slipshod artwork for this frame? Or is he just a nobody?"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Walking Dead, Vol. 04.

08/17/2011 page 100

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sara You might want to hide this for spoilers. I know I would have been pretty bummed if I'd read your review before starting this one.
I agree regarding the artwork. Otis is the one I mainly do this with. There have also been a few of Carol/Sophia I thought were each other!

Anthony Chavez Thanks Sara, I have never used the spoiler box, as I don't always go over plot synopses in my reviews. I have corrected the error. Yeah Hershel and Dale I would often confuse when Dale would take his hat off, and yes Carol and Sophia for sure.