Sheri's Reviews > Surface Detail

Surface Detail by Iain M. Banks

Jul 31, 11

My friend Michelle turned me on to Iain Banks years ago, and I sometimes think about how lucky a recommendation that was. Banks' books don't end up on best seller lists in this country (despite their merits), although they're every bit as good as most that do. He writes in 2 genres, one being modern fiction about seemingly true-to-life characters under the name Iain Banks; the other being wonderfully detailed science fiction set on manufactured "Orbitals" that are the homes of billions of space-wise beings, some of them humanoid, although not human, under the name Iain M. Banks. I've read at least half a dozen of each type, and come away impressed by all of them. This book, Surface Detail, falls in the latter category, and is his best yet in that genre. Hell -- what is it good for? does it exist? if not, do we need to create it in order to coerce appropriate behavior by the masses? Etc., etc., etc. Side issues: who manages hell and all the other logistical issues that might entail. Enjoy!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Surface Detail.