Mike Jensen's Reviews > English Literary Renaissance

English Literary Renaissance by Arthur Kinney

Aug 02, 11

Read in July, 2011

I do not like every article in this issue of the journal, but I recommend it as being the state of our literary studies art. There are articles on Locke, Donne, Spenser, Shakespeare, Puttenham, and Herrick. The review section surveys books and articles about early modern translations of the Classics in England.

To be more specific on the nadir and pinnacle articles in this number, Anna Riehl’s “Eying the Though Away: The Anamorphosis of John Donne’s Poetry,” and John Creaser’s “Times Trans-Shifting: Chronology and Misshaping in Herrick,” the former uses anamprphosis as a parallel to understanding what Donne sometimes does in his poetry, and applies it to Donne’s logic in “The Extasie.” Who is to say that the author is wrong, but I find the case far from compelling and the parallel stretched. Others will find it fascinating. On the other hand, Crester’s reexamination of the chronology of Herrick’s poetry seems, to this non-Herrick expert, very interesting and possibly correct. The article is lively and fun to read.

Whatever his personality problems, lead editor Arthur Kinney has done a marvelous job putting together this issue of ENGLISH LITERARY RENAISSANCE. It is a fine example of what literary scholars do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read English Literary Renaissance.