K's Reviews > Interpreter of Maladies

F 50x66
Aug 04, 11

bookshelves: audiobooks, culturalidentity, southasia
Read from July 31 to August 05, 2011

I suspect I would have enjoyed these stories more in print than on audio, although admittedly I'm not really a short story person in the best of times. Basically they were pleasant enough, but I have to second Kinga's comment that they didn't exactly scream Pulitzer to me.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Interpreter of Maladies.

message 1: by M (new) - rated it 4 stars

M you never read this???

message 2: by K (new) - rated it 3 stars

K Can you believe it? I usually avoid short stories, although I did read Unaccustomed Earth. Anyway, I was kind of desperate for an audiobook and couldn't find anything I wanted to read, and this came up so I figured, why not?

message 3: by M (new) - rated it 4 stars

M Why not indeed. I love this collection.

message 4: by K (new) - rated it 3 stars

K Good to know. I'm only in the middle of the first story, but so far so good. I'm thinking that short stories might be a good way to go with audio.

Kinga They left me a little meh. I mean ok, but Pulitzer? Really?

message 6: by K (new) - rated it 3 stars

K I finished the first story and started on the second. I'm enjoying it enough, for short stories, but I agree that the Pulitzer may be a bit of a stretch.

Kinga I am sure there are great stories out there.

I am determined to find them. Recently I read and liked John Cheever. His were quite good. Maybe you should give them a go?

Also I can send you some of my own stories! :)

message 8: by K (new) - rated it 3 stars

K I believe there are great stories, and if I come across John Cheever I might be willing to try him. I'm not usually a short story person, though; I tend to seek out novels more.

I would love to read some of your own stories, though! I need to hold off for a while, though, because I'm in the middle of a move.