Alison's Reviews > The First Days of School: How to Be an Effective Teacher [With CDROM]

The First Days of School by Harry K. Wong

Jul 31, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read in January, 2000

I have to tell you I've had about 5 copies of this book. I've given all but one of them away to student teachers I've mentored, people I know who think about going into teaching, or anyone who is interested. I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!!
I was first introduced to Harry Wong in an intro teaching class back in 1999 at CMU. It was the textbook we had to use in that class. I remember seeing it on the shelf in the book store & being glad it didn't cost a $150. That was about the extent of it, but then I inevitably had to crack it open & I was hooked.
Wong's writing style is laid back. His ancedotes are hilarious. The tips & tricks he sprinkles throughout the book are top notch. He is a teacher so he knows if its something you have to spend a massive amount of time planning for & getting materials together for you aren't going to do it. These ideas are things you can put into practice in your classroom the very next day! Speaking as a busy over worked teacher that's about as good as it gets!
If you've been teaching 25 years or are about to set foot in your very first classroom or you are entering a teacher education program this book is a must read!!!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Days of School.