The Biblio Fairy's Reviews > Memory's Wake

Memory's Wake by Selina Fenech

F 50x66
Aug 08, 11

Read in August, 2011

Selina Fenech weaved such a beautiful world!

See full review at The Fairytale Nerd.

LOCATION/SETTING:
The story is set in the imaginary world of Avall. It is a world of fantasy through and through. Here, there are fairies, trolls, and sprites. There are kings, queens, princes, princesses, dukes, and duchesses. There are wizards and dragons. The inhabitants of Avall use magic, although they try to control it. The main character was sort of transported in this world through a magical Veil. The story is set in the present period, but the modernities, such as telephones, of present life are completely unknown in Avall.

MAIN CHARACTERS:
There are about 4 characters that the book took into consideration. The first one is Memory. She is the girl in the book cover - black and pink hair, eyeliner, piercings. When she was dropped in Avall through the Veil, she was as empty as a newborn - "no name, no home, no memories," as said in the book. She has bruises all over her body, and she doesn't know how she got them. The second one is Elory. She's beautiful, blonde, and a bit on the plump side. She is the daughter of the Queen who was killed, and has an enormous amount of power. She was taken by a wizard named Alward when she was little, and was trained by him. Then there is Roen. He is the son of a Duke, who was friends with Elory's mother. A few years older than Elory, his parents hoped that they would be a match. But then, his parents were deposed, and since then, they lost their land and money, forcing Roen to become a street rat. Last is the savage man. Oh! The handsome savage man! Now this one is a complete mystery. Memory does not remember him, so why does he keep saving her whenever she finds herself in danger? I cannot say more about him without giving anything away, so you just have to see for yourselves!

WHAT THE BOOK IS ABOUT:
The story begins with Memory being dropped into this world that is completely unknown to her. She then met this beautiful girl named Eloryn, who she later on found out was the long lost princess of the strange land. Together, they embark on a quest to find out about Memory's past, and eventually, to bring back to Eloryn the throne that is rightfully hers. Of course, what is a fairytale without a handsome prince - in this case, a sort of prince. They are accompanied by Roen, a son of a former duke. What is so interesting about him is that he is royal-turned-thief. Memory and Eloryn met him when he tried to steal from the two girls. The three faced a lot - dragons, faeries, and hunters. This book is a rollercoaster ride, non stop action!

LOVE:
I love how this book generated all kinds of emotions in me. My heartstrings were pulled by Memory. In the story, she was completely ignored and set aside by people. All of them see only the Princess Eloryn, and how beautiful and important she is. I felt so bad for her. There was a point in the book that I hated all those around her. Despite all her misfortunes, she still tries to be a friend to Eloryn and Roen. And of course who could ignore the amazing illustrations? The author is every bit as talented as a writer, as she is as an artist. ** spoilers** I especially loved the illustration where Elory and Roen kissed. The illustration matched the details in the text. It was amazing! ** spoilers end **

NO LOVE:
I didn't like Elory's character. Whereas Memory is a kickass heroine, Elory is the complete opposite. A total damsel in distress, who is easily frightened, and needs someone to protect her always. I also got a bit confused with the first few chapters, there were a number of POVs that I need to absorb before I really got into each's story.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memory's Wake.