Bradley's Reviews > Skaifey - Life in the Fast Lane

Skaifey - Life in the Fast Lane by Andrew Clarke

Aug 23, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, australian-authors
Read from August 12 to 19, 2011

I didn’t like Mark Skaife as a driver as he’s consistently come off as a real wanker, however since he became a regular commentator for the V8 Supercar series I’ve warmed to him.

His book released after his last full time drive in the V8 series is written in a style very reminiscent of Skaife himself. He provides some great insights into his career, the commercialisation of Australia Touring Cars and the politics of motor racing. It was obvious his driving suffered once he took over HRT and that comes out in this book. There was a lot I didn’t know about Gibson Motorsport back in the day which made for interesting reading.

However, there are a lot of things I didn’t like about the book. First, the repetition. Things are just repeated, over and over again and I even saw some paragraphs repeated word for word from one page to the next. I don’t know what it is about motorsport books but they always have some horrible errors or inaccuracies that never get cleaned up during the editing process.

Skaife loves to say his poor form is bad luck when beaten by the likes of Lowndes but its all him once he was getting the full support and luck… But I guess that’s true of many drivers.

I thought it extremely hypocritical when he called the AU Ford Falcon’s obvious disadvantages against the Holden Commodore (including the bigger front spoiler on the Holden) rubbish but states the Holden disadvantage against the Ford in the early 1990s was completely accurate! Unbelievable.

I also found it quite amazing how he feels he did nothing dirty on track so conveniently never mentions his disgraceful role in holding up Lowndes at Phillips Island 2006 to ensure Rick Kelly won the championship.

He seems to love Tom Walkinshaw, stating he understands drivers... yet Walkinshaw had a terrible record with managing drivers in his teams, V8s and F1. After TWR went under, his questionable character was even put on public record in the UK courts so I don't get that at all.

Overall, okay book but not without flaws.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skaifey - Life in the Fast Lane.