Kristal's Reviews > The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King

Jul 31, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, horror, df-summer-2011, nook-ebook
Read from July 29 to 30, 2011

While on a weekend hiking trip with her family, 9 year-old Trisha takes a quick step off the travel to relieve herself. But as fate would have it, she gets turned around and eventually becomes lost in the woods. Thinking that if she stays walking in the same direction she will eventually find another living person, she instead heads deeper and deeper in the wild lands of New England. And soon, Trisha discovers that she is not alone. Her beloved Red Sox pitcher, Tom Gordon, appears to her and imaginary conversations are made. But there is someone else in the woods lurking in the woods with Trisha. Someone that Trisha doesn't not want to have anything to do with. Someone who doesn't want her to leave the woods alive.

As a long-time reader of Stephen King, I have a love/hate relationship with him. I know he can write a story that will scare the living daylights out of you, but at the same time, he can take pages upon pages of lengthy description to get there. But that was not the case in this story. It flowed so effortlessly and quickly. And still scared me to death!!! Growing up on 10 acres and playing in the woods, I was fascinated by this young girls' struggle to survive and her fortitude to persevere. And I was also fascinated by Mr. Kings' ability to take such simple ideas and turn them into such nightmares. Long live the King.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.