Ruth's Reviews > Daddy-Long-Legs

Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster

Jul 31, 11

bookshelves: history

"c1912. Daddy Long-Legs is the collection of letters from Judy's four years in college (plus a few after she graduates), and they are both comical and introspective. ""I haven't mentioned any lessons of late; but we are still having them every day. It's sort of a relief though, to get away from them and discuss life in the large " rather one-sided discussions that you and I hold, but that's your own fault. You are welcome to answer back any time you choose."" She never does get an answer! ""I never read Mother Goose or David Copperfield or Ivanhoe or Cinderella or Blue Beard or Robinson Crusoe or Jane Eyre or Alice in Wonderland or a word of Rudyard Kipling. I didn't know that Henry the Eighth was married more than once or that Shelley was a poet. I didn't know that people used to be monkeys and that the Garden of Eden was a beautiful myth. I didn't know that R.L.S. stood for Robert Louis Stevenson or that George Eliot was a lady. I had never seen a picture of the Mona Lisa and (it's true but you won' believe it) I had never heard of Sherlock Holmes.""

"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daddy-Long-Legs.