Jenna's Reviews > A Gypsy Song

Aug 13, 2011

Recommended to Jenna by: TP Boje
Recommended for: tweens, Percy jackson and Narnia fans
Read from August 06 to 13, 2011

The Eye of the Crystal Ball is full of innocent, imaginative, forth-coming, exciting, exceptional story line. Reading this book reminded me a lot of the Chronicles of Narnia- the unique characters, talking animals, plus the POV and Percy Jackson series- the adventures. The third person point of view narration fits perfectly with the story. It has been awhile since I’ve last read a book with no love story in it and so I missed it a bit.. Oh yes, the book involved lots of love, but it’s the finest and most innocent love.
Though the story was great, however the beginning was kind of slow and dragging. The journey didn’t begin until later. But I have to say I appreciate how the author put much importance to telling Sara’s (the main character) life, from her birth,etc. it was kind of too much information when it could’ve been shortened, but it turned out okay just not so great.
The characters, I honestly was hoping something will spring out from Manolo and Sara’s friendship and it will involve a love triangle with the wolf boy..wishful thinking..(haha). I love Manolo and how intelligent and loyal of a friend he is. I love Sara for her courage and love for her brother, of how accepting and how she kept herself pure.
The places and things they went through were not really uncommon but they were still unique. The names were one-of-a-kind, the obstacles were modified and cool, riddles,etc. The way it was written made the story more alive and interesting. I felt like I was running and the wind swept up on my face too! Their challenges got harder and harder, and there was never a silent moment in their journey, everything happened so fast, I didn’t notice I already passed a lot of pages!.
The ending was really sad and it made me wish a lot more things will happen (a second book?). I never had a dull moment reading the book. It was fun and full of exciting happenings and fast-paced just the way I like it! I recommend it to young readers but adults can still enjoy the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Gypsy Song.

08/08/2011 page 110