David Grimaud's Reviews > Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us

Nov 05, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: business
Read in December, 2009

MY BROTHER GREG gave me this book in January (’09). I was looking for a quick book to read this Christmas Eve, so I pulled this off my “waiting to read” book pile. I was pleased.

Seth Godin is an internet entrepreneur, futurist, and change agent. When I saw his bio/photo on his website, I knew I would like him. He and I are the same age, and we both have crooked noses: his bends to his left, mine to my right.

The book itself is inspirational, written in a motivational style similar to Zig Zigler’s SEE YOU AT THE TOP. Godin’s premise is that tribe leadership is the new paradigm for marketing, as opposed to brand management. The latter implies bottom down mangement, whereas, tribe leadership is at the grass roots, built around people with a common passion. Godin exhorts the reader to find that group and that passion and lead it.

The book is not a formula per se. Godin’s strength lies in his ability to inspire and motivate, and that he does well. Yet, he does not seem to promote change for its own sake, and I was pleased to read his balanced and accurate viewpoint on Religion vs. Faith. This is an excellent book to read before a brainstorming session.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tribes.